If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (727) 586-0060

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Electrical Fire Prevention in Your Largo Home

6/1/2017 (Permalink)

Electrical Fires Cause Damage and Create Dangers to Largo Residents, Call SERVPRO for Cleanup

SERVPRO Tips to Stop Smoke and Fire from Damaging Your Property

They can begin small, but electrical fires can spread fast, especially if it is inside a socket and able to travel through the wall before you realize there is a fire. Since the way in which these fires start is unique, they also require special measures when dealing with them. Prevention is, of course, the first step, however, in case you have one in your home, you should be prepared how to react. As with any fire, if it is growing too quickly or is unsafe, evacuate you and your family and pets right away.
 
You should shut down the power source from the electrical panel to help deter more fire damage to your Largo home. The simplest way to do this is to access the main. Be sure you know where your circuit box is and never obscure your path to it. Once the power is cut, spray the fire with a Class C chemical extinguisher. You can also use baking soda. Do not ever use water since it is a conductor and can electrocute you. Do not restore power until a licensed electrician checks your wiring.
 
SERVPRO, a licensed fire damage remediation company, can then come in to repair any damages and clean up soot and smoke left behind.
 
Basic steps can deter electrical shorts and sparks from leading to full blown blazes. Begin by not overloading circuits, maintaining electronics and appliances with care, and regularly inspecting your wiring. Exposed or frayed wires should be replaced to stop the risk of shorts. Plus, cut the power to your home so you can open and inspect outlets, looking for singles or frayed wiring which suggests an electrical problem.
 
Never leave any space heaters, stoves, or electric blankets on while you are not home, and keep a good eye on portable heating units, placing them three feet or more away from curtains and furniture. Also, put these devices on sturdy, hard surfaces to eliminate the risk of tipping over. Check your fire detectors twice a year and cut power from any appliance that begins to smell strange, smoke, or run erratically.
 
Our staff at SERVPRO are specially trained to handle damage after an electrical fire. We repair any damages, plus clean up soot and smoke, deodorize the affected area and dry up any water from firefighting efforts if necessary.
 
SERVPRO of Largo arrives at your home quickly after receiving your call for help. You can reach us anytime by dialing (727) 586-0060, so do not hesitate to call.

Other News

View Recent Posts

< noscript>< !-- End Facebook Pixel Code -->